About this Research Topic
This Research Topic is intended to crystallize current thinking and future directions regarding the science, engineering, and economic issues associated with the development of electrically-propelled connected and automated vehicles (E-CAV). The Research Topic provides an international forum for presenting and discussing innovative research work involving any of the three aspects of E-CAV. Each one of these disruptive technologies is enough to drastically alter the way we travel. However, the holistic effect of any combination of these technologies occurring together is expected to far exceed the sum of their individual effects. Therefore, the specific research application areas (vehicle types) addressed in the prospective manuscript may be: connected vehicles, autonomous/automated vehicles, and electric vehicles in a standalone manner, or better still, any combination thereof.
For each of these research application areas, submissions are encouraged that address at least one of the following research activity areas associated with E-CAV:
• Consumer demand assessments
• Policy and planning including impact assessments (energy, noise, land-use, safety, mobility, economic productivity and development, highway revenues, sustainability, operational resilience, etc.)
• Human factors and driving simulation
• Enabling technologies (including machine vision, machine learning, AI, etc.)
• Infrastructure design and management
• Operations and controls
• Modeling (including microsimulation)
• Implementation, including pilot tests.
Keywords: Automation, Autonomous, Connectivity, Electric Propulsion
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.