About this Research Topic
Contributors to this collection were nominated by the Editorial Board of Frontiers in Chemistry, and by showcasing their work here, we aim to provide both a snapshot of the current field and also a glimpse what the next decade might hold.
We welcome Original Research and Review articles, on themes including but not limited to:
• Mechanistic studies on carbohydrates, lipids, peptides, proteins and nucleic acids
• Protein and enzyme design and engineering
• Enzyme mechanism and biosynthesis of natural products
• Biological systems engineered to perform novel chemical transformations
• Intra- and intercellular communication mediated by small molecules
• Design and use of novel molecular systems as tools to study synthetic and systems biology
• Special chemical techniques (e.g. click chemistry and molecular imaging) to study biomolecules in living cells and organisms
• Generation, distribution and function of small molecule-protein conjugates
• Novel molecular probes to identify and characterize potential therapeutic targets
• Large-scale studies enabled by the use of chemistry-based technology: proteomics, lipidomics, metabolomics and glycomics
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.