About this Research Topic
This article collection aims to provide a platform for displaying cutting-edge findings in current research on the interaction among climates of ocean basins. Individual contributions are expected to break ground on the physical basis of interactions and associated mechanisms, ways in which remote ocean regions can influence each other, stationarity of the interactions and mechanisms, combined effects of oceanic anomalies on continents and populations, and influence of interactions on the variability of fisheries and other sources of production. A topic of special interest is the impacts of ocean basin interactions on climate predictability. Individual contributions are also expected to present novel analysis and modeling approaches, and the results of community model experiments. Another topic of special interest is the assessment of improvement in regional and global prediction skill by a higher success in capturing special features in the climate of different ocean basins.
• Fundamental understanding of the physical mechanisms for connection between remote climates.
• Connections between modes of variability of the coupled atmosphere-ocean system in different ocean basins
• Possibilities for enhancing climate prediction globally on different timescales by improving the skill in capturing interactions among ocean basins.
• Evidence of climate variations on the continents that are influenced by the combined variability ocean basins.
• Variability of the interactions themselves and effects of climate change.
• Novel analysis and modeling approaches for remote impacts
• Results of community model experiments
Keywords: Ocean Basins, climate variability
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.