About this Research Topic
In this Research Topic we welcome reviews and original research articles aimed at improving the knowledge and understanding of marine natural products of microbial origin. More specifically, this Research Topic welcomes studies focused on:
– Isolation, structural elucidation and biological potential of secondary metabolites from marine microorganisms.
– Investigations regarding methodologies for extraction, isolation, and identification. Analysis of the limitations and benefits of these methodologies are also welcome.
– Structure-activity relationships that can help in understanding the bioactivity of different compounds. These results should be discussed with an eye toward the mechanisms of the compounds' activities, in order to promote the identification of novel candidates for drug development.
– Research performed on the basis of in vitro, in vivo, or clinical evaluations on the major pharmacological activities of metabolites from different marine microorganisms.
– New concepts to induce silent biogenetic gene clusters, thereby expanding the chemical diversity of fungal strains.
– Future trends and utilization of this knowledge.
Keywords: Marine microorganisms, Natural products, Structural elucidation, Biological activities, Structure-activity relationships
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.