Frontiers is a community-rooted, open-access academic publisher
Our grand vision is to build an Open Science platform where everybody has equal opportunity to seek, share and generate knowledge, and that empowers researchers in their daily work.
Frontiers is at the forefront of building this ultimate Open Science platform. By taking publishing entirely online, we drive innovations and develop new technologies to make peer-review more efficient and transparent, provide impact metrics for articles and researchers, are the first – and only – to merge open-access publishing with a research network platform, Loop, to catalyse collaboration and research dissemination and we popularize research to the public, including kids. Our mission is to increase the reach and impact of articles and their authors.
Frontiers today publishes several of the most cited journals in the world and receives millions of monthly page views, is one of the largest and fastest-growing open-access publishers and received several awards, including of the ALPSP Gold Award for Innovation in Publishing in 2014.
- Community-driven journals, with more than 55'000 world-renowned scientists and scholars as editors;
- "Gold" open access for all articles, under the CC-BY Creative Commons license - the least restrictive CC license;
- Research Topics spotlight the most specialized communities and enable leading researchers to manage the publication of article collections;
- Collaborative Peer-Review: rigorous, fair, constructive, transparent and efficient as enabled by our custom-built "Review Forum" web software;
- Impact Metrics: we pioneered online metrics for articles in 2008 and authors in 2011 and continuously improve them;
- Frontiers for Young Minds: cutting-edge research for kids edited by kids together with top-level scientists.
- Loop is the first open research network that takes publishing to the next level. We integrate your Loop profile into academic websites, starting with nature.com and frontiersin.org article pages, and maximise discoverability and impact for your research.
Read more about our publishing model.
Find out more about Loop, our research network.
Our articles have been featured in major news outlets, including: