CASE REPORT article
Sec. Pediatric Cardiology
Case Report: Left main coronary artery atresia in the era of COVID-19 pandemic
- 1Tehran Heart Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran
- 2Rajaie Cardiovascular Medical and Research Center, Iran University of Medical Sciences,, Iran
- 3Département de radiologie diagnostique et de radiologie interventionnelle, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois (CHUV), Switzerland
- 4Royal Brompton Hospital, United Kingdom
- 5Heart Science, National Heart and Lung Institute, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, United Kingdom
Congenital coronary anomalies are among the rare disorders of the otherwise normal heart. A 2-year-old child evaluated for denovo heart failure after a flu-like event two months before suspicious for post Covid-19 dilated cardiomyopathy. Cardiac Magnetic Resonance (CMR), displayed the basal to mid subendocardial to transmural scar suggestive for an ischemic etiology. Further assessment with CT and invasive angiography confirmed the very uncommon left main artery atresia (LMCAA) as the culprit for patient heart failure. This is not only the first reported LMCAA case undergone CMR study but also initially suspected with characteristic CMR findings.
Keywords: Cardiac magnetic resonance (CMR), denovo heart failure, Congenital coronary anomaly, left main artery atresia, ALCAPA (Anomalous left coronary artery from the pulmonary artery)
Received: 17 Mar 2022;
Accepted: 11 Aug 2022.
Copyright: © 2022 Asl Fallah, Mahdavi, Rezaei-Kalantari, Qanadli and Mirsadraee. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY). The use, distribution or reproduction in other forums is permitted, provided the original author(s) and the copyright owner(s) are credited and that the original publication in this journal is cited, in accordance with accepted academic practice. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms.
* Correspondence: Dr. Kiara Rezaei-Kalantari, Rajaie Cardiovascular Medical and Research Center, Iran University of Medical Sciences,, Tehran, Iran