About this Research Topic
The mutually beneficial relationship between the internet of things (IoT) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) is enabling disruptive innovations in wearables and implantable biomedical devices for healthcare monitoring; smart surveillance and monitoring applications such as the use of an autonomous drone for disaster management and rescue operations. The fusion of AI and IoT enables the systems to be predictive, prescriptive, and autonomous. This convergence of AI and IoT is evolving the nature of emerging applications from being assisted to augmented and ultimately to autonomous intelligence. This continuum will impact all industries ranging from manufacturing, retail, healthcare, telecommunication, and transportation, etc. IoT sensors will allow the collection of a vast amount of data, whereas AI can help derive intelligence for devising smarter applications for a smarter world. Moreover, the emerging 5G landscape provides a foundation for realizing the full potential of AI-powered IoT. The massive connectivity offered by 5G along with ultra-low latency capability will open up avenues for exciting applications across all verticals.
This emerging era of AI and IoT applications has three main components (i) smart devices (ii) intelligent systems of systems and (iii) end-to-end analytics. Numerous challenges exist in implementing such systems that include algorithmic and design innovations to meet Quality of Service requirements (latency, bandwidth, delay, etc); mechanisms to preserve IoT data privacy and provide secure services for interconnected users; achieving high performance systems that can process both high volume and fast speed IoT data leveraging Edge AI. Moreover, from an application front, there is still a need to design scalable and intelligent IoT data solutions that make better use of federated learning and collaborative sensing concepts for collective intelligence.
For the aforementioned reasons, this research topic aims to solicit the submissions of original and unpublished research articles that present in-depth fundamental research contributions either from theoretical or methodological/application perspective containing novel architectures, algorithms, systems, techniques or applications offering new insights and findings in the field AI-powered IoT.
We seek high-quality submissions related to (but not limited to) one or more of the following topics:
● IoT data mining platforms and tools
● Machine learning and AI for IoT data processing and analysis
● Edge and fog computing for IoT data processing
● Social Data mining and Computing
● New Applications for smart IoT Services
● Federated learning for AI-powered IoT Systems
● Data Privacy and Security of AI-powered IoT Solutions
● Edge AI for health-centric IoT systems and human-machine interaction
● Smart Edge IoT Devices for health, environment, traffic, and other industrial applications.
● Stream processing for efficient IoT data processing
● 5G assisted IoT systems and Applications
● Blockchain Integrated with IoT services
● Context-Aware Systems
● Meta-Heuristic Algorithms for IoT and wearable
● Modeling and simulation of large-scale IoT scenarios and IoT standardization
Keywords: AI Algorithms, Edge AI, Adaptive & Predictive Analytics, Internet of Things (IoT), Machine Learning, Stream Processing, Federated Learning, 5G driven IoT Applications
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.