About this Research Topic
However, despite significant advances made in this field during the last six decades, there are many key questions waiting to be solved. This Research Topic calls for both Review and Original Research articles focusing on the role that the turbulence plays in the solar wind, magnetosphere, and ionosphere dynamics, and their interaction. In particular we are interested in but not limited to the following topics:
- The role of turbulence in the interaction processes of the solar wind with the terrestrial magnetosphere, and with other planetary magnetospheres.
- Turbulent energy transfer between scales in the solar wind at 1 AU and at different heliocentric distances and in planetary magnetospheres.
- The impact of turbulence on the dynamical processes in the terrestrial and planetary magnetospheres, e.g. substorm dynamics.
- The interrelations between a turbulent cascade, waves and coherent structures. What are the similarities and differences of turbulent behavior for different heliospheric objects?
- Turbulent plasma heating and particle acceleration and their role in the formation of turbulent cascade.
- The influence of turbulence on the transport properties of energetic particles, considering both the quasi-linear, the non-linear and the anomalous regimes.
Keywords: Turbulence, Space plasmas, Heliosphere, Solar wind, Magnetosphere
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.